Records reveal that the German artillery spotters were
using the bell
tower as viewing platform to guide their guns onto the British lines to
the east and south of Messines in the early months of the war. The enemy
being able to direct his fire with precision was a huge problem for the
British Forces and in October or November 14, a well placed artillery
shell sliced the bell tower from the stone tower, depriving the enemy of the high viewing platform
Further investigation of archive sources may have revealed the answer to the style of church, we have located a photographic post card of the church dated 1914, which shows the tower without the embellished bell tower on top, giving the appearance of a square Norman style tower.
We are also pleased to report that we have also been contacted by the family who had the model church in their garden for many years. They have also been able to provide us with some photographs which confirm the story of the pocket watch embedded in the structure. Unfortunately the model of the church no longer survives but at least we can now tell it's story in full.